- Kumbalanga /Ash gourd(cut into 1"cubes)-1to1 1/2 cups
- Green chilies(cut vertically)- 2 nos
- Grated coconut-1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds- 3/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Yogurt- 2cups
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds
- Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp(optional)
- Shallots(chumanulli) sliced- 2 nos
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Red chilies- 3 nos
- Grind together grated coconut,turmeric powder and cumin seeds with enough water to form a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Cook kumbalanga/ash gourd along with green chilies ,water and salt to taste.
- Once it is cooked add the coconut paste and simmer for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Switch off the stove and add yogurt stirring continuously.Add salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add fenugreek seeds,shallots,curry leaves and red chilies and saute till shallots turn golden brown.
- Pour it over the pulishery and serve .
Sending this to Kerala kitchen event at magpies recipes