Recipe source: ecurry with slight variations
You can find the original recipe here
- Chicken (cleaned and cut into medium sized pieces)-1.5 kg
- Yogurt-1/2 cup
- Onion( chopped finely)-5 nos
- Ginger (minced)-1 tbsp
- Garlic(minced)-1 tbsp
- Tomato(grated)-4 nos
- Coriander leaves(chopped)-1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder-3 to 4 tsp(or according to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
To roast and grind
- Whole dry red chilies- 10 nos(or according to taste)
- Fenugreek seeds-1/2 to 1 tsp(according to taste)
- Nigella seeds/kalonji/kalo jeera-2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Fennel seeds-3tsp
- Cloves- 4 to 5 nos
- Marinate the chicken pieces with yogurt,1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt.
- Dry roast all the ingredients "to roast and grind' separately .Cool and grind coarsely,Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan add onion and saute till it turns light brown.Now add ginger and garlic and saute till done for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground spice powder and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken pieces and cook over high flame till chicken is browned on all sides.
- Now add grated tomatoes,1/4 tsp turmeric powder,chili powder and salt to taste.Mix well.
- Cook over low heat until oil separates.
- Add 4 cups of water,bring to a boil ,then cover and cook till done.
- Uncover and cook till the desired consistency is achieved.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.