- Basmati Rice- 1 cup
- Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
- Cardamom- 2 nos
- Cloves- 2 nos
- Bay leaf- 1 no
- Cinnamon stick- 1" piece
- Cashew nuts- 6 to 8 nos
- Green chili-chopped- 1/2 tsp (or to taste)
- Onion -chopped-1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder-1/4 tsp
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Water- 1 tbsp ( if required)
- Salt to taste
For Masala paste
- Spinach- 1/2 a bunch or 1 cup (packed)
- Ginger-1/2 inch piece
- Garlic-3 to 4 small cloves
- Grated coconut- 1 tbsp
- Cook rice until it is 3/4 th done.Allow it to cool completely.Keep aside.
- Next blanch the spinach.For this bring a pot of water to boil over high heat.Add the washed spinach.Let it cook for 2 minutes.Drain and allow it to cool slightly.Puree the prepared spinach along with the rest of the ingredients for the masala paste( i.e ginger,garlic and grated coconut).Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan ,add cumin seeds and let it splutter.Now add cardamom,cloves,bay leaf and cinnamon stick.Saute for few seconds.
- Add cashew nuts and saute for few seconds.
- Now add green chili and onion,saute till onion turns translucent.
- Next add the masala paste ,turmeric powder,kashmiri chili powder,garam masala and salt to taste.Saute till oil separates.
- Add the cooked rice and mix gently until combined.( sprinkle 1 or 2 tbsp water if you feel the rice is a bit dry)Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes over low flame.Keep covered for at least 10 minutes before serving.