Recipe adapted from Post Punk Kitchen,you can find the original recipe here
- Mashed banana-1 Cup ( about 2 overripe bananas)
- Light brown sugar-3/4 cup
- Vanilla extract-1 tsp
- Vegetable oil- 2 tbsp
- Milk-1/3 cup ( Use almond milk or soya milk for vegan bread)
- Whole wheat flour-1 1/4 cup ( see notes)
- Baking soda- 1 tsp ( see notes)
- Salt-1 pinch
- Cocoa powder-3 tbsp
- Boiling water- 6 tbsp,divided
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.Line a 8x4 loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- In a large mixing bowl,combine together mashed banana,light brown sugar,vanilla extract,vegetable oil and milk.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together whole wheat flour,baking soda and salt until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the prepared banana mixture and mix gently using a wooden spatula,just until combined.Do not over mix.
- Transfer 1 cup of batter into a separate bowl.Combine together 3 tbsp boiling water and cocoa powder.Mix well until smooth.Add this to the one cup batter that was separated and mix gently,just until combined.
- Add 3 tbsp boiling water to the remaining batter and mix gently ,just under combined.
- Alternately spoon the mixtures into the loaf tin.
- Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool completely before slicing.
- You can use 1.5 cups all purpose flour also,in that case use 3/4 tsp baking soda.