Makes- 1 Loaf
- Active dry yeast- 1 and 1/4 tsp
- Luke warm milk- 3/4 cup
- Sugar- 2 tbsp ( see notes)
- All purpose flour- 2 and 1/4 Cups (1/4 cup or more if required)( see notes)
- Melted butter/Olive oil- 2 tbsp+ more for brushing ( i used olive oil)
- Salt-to taste
- Brush a loaf pan ( i used 8"x 4" loaf pan) with butter or line it with parchment paper.Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.
- In a bowl,combine together yeast,milk and sugar.Keep this aside for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture is frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl,whisk together all purpose flour and salt.Next add melted butter /oil and mix well using your fingers.
- Slowly add the milk mixture into the flour mixture and mix well until combined.(The dough will be a bit sticky.You can add few tablespoons of flour if you are finding it difficult to handle.)Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead well for 10 to 12 minutes.The dough should be soft and elastic.Transfer the dough to a greased bowl
- Cover it with a clean kitchen towel ,and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume for about 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours.Punch down the risen dough using your fist.
- Form into a loaf shape and place in the prepared pan,seam-side down.Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in volume ,about 45 minutes.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.(if the top browns too quickly,loosely cover it with foil.)
- Lightly brush the top and the sides with melted butter/oil.Allow it to cool a bit before slicing.
- Start with 2 cups flour and slowly add more as required.(If you add too much flour the dough will be dry and the bread will turn out to be hard and dry.)The dough should be a bit sticky and as you knead the dough, it will be easy to handle and less sticky .
- 1 used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour.
- I used about 2 and 1/4 tbsp of sugar and it was moderately sweet.Adjust the sweetness according to your taste.