- Chena /Elephant yam-(cut into small cubes)- 1 cup
- Pacha kaya/Raw plantain-( cut into small cubes,skin on)- 3/4 Cup
- Red chili powder- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Water- 1 cup( or as required)
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil- 1 tsp
For coconut-cumin paste
- Grated coconut- 3/4 cup
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Water- as required
- Cumin seeds- 1/8 tsp
- Curryleaves- 1 sprig
- Dry red chilies-(optional) 1 or 2 nos
- Black pepper powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coconut oil/Ghee- as requied
- In a blender,combine together all the ingredients listed under' For coconut-cumin paste' to form a thick smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp coconut oil,and add 1/2 cup grated coconut,stir fry until it turns golden brown over a medium low flame.(Stir it continuously to prevent burning).Keep aside.
- In a pan,add chena,kaya,red chili powder,turmeric powder,black pepper powder,salt and water.Mix well.Cook until it is done.Lightly mash it with the back of the ladle.
- Add the ground coconut-cumin paste.Add more salt ,if required.Mix well and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.Switch off the stove.
- Now,add the roasted coconut and mix well.
- For tempering heat coconut oil and 1 tsp ghee,add cumin seeds.Let it splutter.Add curry leaves and dry red chilies.Saute for few seconds.Add pepper powder ,mix well and switch off the stove.
- Pour this over the curry and mix well.
- Adjust the quantity of water ,according to the consistency required.