- Potato-(boiled and lightly mashed)- 3 large
- Mustard seeds- 3/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1 pinch
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Ginger-finely chopped- 1 tsp
- Green chilies-chopped- 2 nos( or to taste)
- Onion-sliced- 1 no
- Red chili powder- 1/4 tsp(optional)
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Water- 1/4 cup( or as required)
- Lemon juice- 1 to 2 tsp( or to taste)
- Coriander leaves-chopped- 1 to 2 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
- Heat oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds ,let it splutter.Add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Add asafoetida,curry leaves ,ginger and green chilies.Saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced onion and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add red chili powder,turmeric powder and salt to taste.Saute for few seconds.
- Add water and mashed potato, mix well.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves.Add more salt if required,mix well and cook for a minute or two.
To prepare masala dosa
- Heat a tawa/dosa pan.Lightly brush it with oil.(If you are using a non stick pan,do not apply oil on the tawa,if you do so you will not be able to spread the batter)
- Spread a ladle full of batter to form thin and large circle.Drizzle oil or ghee over the dosa ( use ghee for best results)
- When it is cooked and the edges starts to brown .Place 2 to 3 tbsp of the potato masala over the dosa,
For dosa batterIngredients
- Dosa rice/idli rice- 1.5 cup
- Urad dal- 1/2 Cup
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/8 tsp
- Cooked rice- 1/4 Cup
- Water- about 2 cup( or as required)
- Salt- to taste
- Wash and soak rice in plenty of water for about 4 to 5 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal for 2 to 3 hours along with fenugreek seeds.
- Drain urad dal and reserve the water to use it for grinding.In a griner/blender grind urad dal and fenugreek seeds to form a smooth and fluffy batter.(During grinding ,add 1/4 cup water at a time as required.I used about 3/4 cup water.)Transfer this urad batter to a large bowl.
- In the grinder ,grind together drained rice , cooked rice and just enough water to form a smooth batter.(Add 1/4 cup water at a time,as required.I used about 3/4 to 1 cup water.)Mix the rice batter along with the urad dal batter.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Keep the batter aside to ferment in a warm place for about 10 to 12 hours.The bowl should be large enough to accommodate twice the volume of the batter.After fermentation the batter will be light and fluffy.