Recipe adapted from : Manorama
- Kanava /Squid-(cut into small pieces)- 250 gms
- Turmeric powder- 3/4 tsp
- Kudampuli /Fish tamarind- 2 small pieces
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
- Shallots-sliced- 3/4 cup
- Green chilies-(cut vertically)- 2 to 3 nos( or to taste)
- Ginger-chopped- 1 tsp
- Garlic-chopped- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/2 tsp( or to taste)
- Fennel powder- 3/4 tsp
- Grated coconut- 3/4 to 1 cup
- Salt- To taste
- Oil- as required
- In a pan combine together kanava/squid,1/4 tsp turmeric powder ,kudampuli and salt.Cover and cook until done.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan ( or a manchatti ),add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add fenugreek seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves,shallots,green chilies,ginger and garlic.Saute until it turns golden brown.
- Now add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,coriander powder ,kashmiri chili powder and fennel powder.Saute for few seconds.
- Now add grated coconut and salt to taste.Mix well until combined.
- Add cooked kanava/squid and mix well.cook for few more minutes. Add more curry leaves ,if required.