Prep Time: 4 hours, + more for fermentation
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 18 to 20 palappam
- Raw rice ( Pachari) - 1.5 cups( see notes)
- Grated coconut - 3/4 cup ,heaped
- Cooked Rice - 1/2 cup
- Sugar- 1.5 to 3 tbsp
- Yeast - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Salt- to taste
STEP BY STEP PICTURES:
- You can also use 1 cup raw rice and 1/2 cup basmati rice ,if desired.I feel adding 1/2 cup basmati rice makes appam more soft and fluffy.
- Adjust the quantity of water depending upon the type of rice you use.Basically the batter should be a bit watery so that the edges turn out really thin.
- Adjust the quantity of sugar according to your taste.Adding a bit more sugar will help to get the edges golden brown.
- Leftover batter can be refrigerated for upto 2 days.Bring down to room temperature before making appams.
- You may serve appam with Nadan Mutta curry, Kerala Egg curry,Egg curry with potato ,Kadala curry,Kerala vegetable stew,Mutton stew,Kerala duck curry or even fish molly.