Prep Time: 30 minutes + Soaking time
Baking Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Makes: 9" cake ( or two 7" loaves)
To prepare dry fruits:
- Dry fruits - 1 to 1.5 cups( use sultanas,raisins,dried currants,dates,dried cherries,cashew nuts,almonds,etc,see notes)
- Red wine - 1 cup( see notes for non alcoholic version)
- All purpose flour - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Water- 1 tbsp + 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour - 1 cup
- Baking powder- 3/4 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1 pinch
- Cloves - 1( powdered)
- Cinnamon - 1/4" piece( powdered)
- Ginger powder - 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg powder - 1/8 tsp
- Orange zest - 1 tsp
- Butter,at room temperature - 125 gms (1/2 cup +1 tbsp)
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Egg yolk - 2 medium
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Egg White - 2 medium
- I used 3/4 cups sultanas and raisins and 1/4 cup cashew nuts.
- As you can see in the picture the fruits and nuts sank to the bottom of the cake ,as i did not drain them well.So make sure you drain the fruits well and toss it well in 2 tbsp flour ,it will act like a glue and prevent the fruits from sinking.
- For alcohol free version,soak the dry fruits and nuts in 1 cup orange /apple or grape juice overnight at room temperature.
- If the top of the cake browns too quickly while baking, loosely cover it with foil.
- Prick holes on top of the cake using a skewer and drizzle one or two tsp of red wine over the cake,for extra flavor.
- Cover the cake with parchment paper and then with foil and store in an airtight container for upto 2 weeks.