Makes: 12 cutlets
Prep Time: 20 to 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Onion,finely chopped- 1/2 cup( one medium)
- Green chili,chopped - 1 or 2( according to taste)
- Curry leaves,chopped - few
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Banana blossom /vazhakumbu ,chopped - 1 cup ( 1 small-see notes)
- Coriander powder - 1 and 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 tsp to 1 and 1/4( or to taste)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
- Cubed and boiled potato - 1.5 cups
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice- 1/2 to 1 tsp
- All purpose flour - 2 tbsp
- Water - as required
- Breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup or as required
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
- Adjust the quantity of green chilies and chili powder according to your taste.
- To prepare fresh banana blossom / Vazhakumbu,peel 3 to 4 outer bracts/petals and discard them.Finely chop the banana blossom , add 1 tsp coconut oil and mix well to remove the stickiness.
- Fresh banana blossoms will have a compact cone shape and tightly packed bracts/petals.Bracts/petals that are loosely falling apart indicate that the blossom is not fresh.If the banana blossom is not fresh peel 3 to 4 purple outer bracts/petals and discard them.Next peel the banana blossom petal by petal and remove the bunch of flowers( I usually discard these flowers if the banana blossom is not fresh.If you are using the separated flowers then slit open each flower and discard the membrane and the long, white stigma and use the remaining part).Continue the process until you reach the creamy inner core.Finely chop the inner core , the separated bracts/petals and the cleaned inner flowers ( if using) . Immerse in water mixed with 1 or 2 tbsp lemon juice or salt + 1 tsp turmeric powder for about 30 min to remove their natural bitterness and to avoid discoloring.Squeeze well and drain.Wash once more with clear water ,squeeze and drain well to remove excess water.
- Rub your hands with edible oil to avoid staining.